Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Birthdays and Religious Education

So today is Bryan's birthday! I hope he has a good day.  Kaylie and I baked him a red velvet cake last night, so tonight after dinner we will sing Happy Birthday to Daddy and eat cake. 

In other news Kaylie had CCE last night and she is about to make her 1st Reconciliation (Jan. 31st).  Her class is getting prepared for it and they go next week into the church to see the confession room, although they don't actually go into the room anymore.  The kids confess face-to-face.  I think adults have that option nowadays too.  Honestly, I'm not sure...which brings me to my next point.  I have not gone to confession in so many years that I can't even remember when the last time was.  Since this year is a big year for Kaylie in the Catholic Church, 1st Reconciliation and Holy Communion she has had a lot of questions.  I feel like a really bad Catholic and even Christian for that matter, because a can't answer a lot of her questions.  Last night Kaylie and I were going through her prayers (she has to memorize 4 in total) and when we got to "Our Father" (which by they way she knows this one very well) we went through each line and discussed what they meant.  She immediately asked me what does, "hallowed be thy name" mean??  Well I had NO clue, inside I panicked a little??  So I did what any good Mom would do and I ran downstairs and googled it.  This is what google gave me:

  • "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is a song written by Steve Harris for the 1982 Iron Maiden album. (This really was the first thing that came up!!)
  • The word Hallowed means sanctified or set apart for sacred use
  • Holy be your name, or there abouts.
  • The word "hallow" means sanctify.
  • In the Lord's prayer, we are commanded to hallow God's name.
  • 'May your name be honoured'
So my answer to Kaylie was it means to honor God's name and then I went into further details but I think she was satisfied with my answer.  I guess my point in all of this is that I'm happy she is learning and I am too.  It's good for both of us and even Bryan.  He has really stepped up in helping out with the religious education process and that is huge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment